Thursday, 23 February 2012

Stressed Is Desserts Spelled Backwards!


I love desserts. I exercise purely so I can eat more sugary stuff!

I also love trying out new recipes. I will see a random recipe online and if I love it, I will print it out and the moment I have some spare time, I'm going to attempt making it.

And that is how I found a recipe for some sort of Arabic Cake which looked like a really easy version of creme caramel, so I decided to give it a go, with changing a few bits and pieces to make it to my liking!

This is how it turned out:



This is the bottom of the cake (you have to turn it over onto a plate).


In case you like it, here's the recipe:


Ingredients for the custardy part:

5 eggs
200g sugar
800ml milk
vanilla essence/paste (go crazy if you like vanilla)


Ingredients for the dark part:

1 egg
100g sugar
100ml milk
100ml vegetable oil
100g plain flour
3tsp cocoa
1tsp baking powder


+ 6 tbsp sugar for caramel


Method:

  • Preheat oven to 180C. Put 6 tablespoons of sugar in a saucepan over low heat to caramelise. Pour the caramelised sugar into a round 22-24cm cake pan.
  • Beat 5 eggs with 200g sugar and then combine it with 800ml milk and vanilla.
  • Beat 1 egg with 100g sugar, then add 100ml milk, oil, flour, cocoa and baking powder.
  • Pour the cream mixture into the pan over the caramelised sugar.
  • Then, in the middle of the pan, pour the dark mixture and leave it as it is (i.e. do not try to spread it or pour it all over the white mixture, just leave it in the middle).
  • Put the cake pan in another dish filled with water so it comes up around 2-3cm up the cake pan.
  • Bake it for 30mins and then cover it with either aluminium foil or baking paper and bake for further 20-25 minutes.
  • Once you take the pan out of the oven, leave it in the pan until it has cooled down. Then put it in the fridge for an hour or two. 
  • After you take the pan out of the fridge, put a plate on top of the cake pan and turn it over.


And there you have it. I didn't think it was going to be super amazing, so I didn't bother taking photos of the whole process, but next time I will. It's delicious and very easy.

I served it with mixed berries and a bit of vanilla icing sugar on top


If you make it, let me know how you go!



Ms Jelena xx

9 comments:

  1. Bas sam morala ovo ova kasno da pogledam i ogladnim!:) OBOZAVAM ovakve stvari!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That I never realized. This dessert looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm obsessed with dessert! This looks yummy! xo

    http://dreamingenfrancais.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahah! love the title of this post!


    xxx
    -S

    http://www.gingerandlace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok I'll try it! Thanks for sharing it!
    Xx
    http://dontcallmefashionblogger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ja sam veliki ljubitelj deserta, preveliki, nažalost :/
    Hvala na receptu.
    Kolač pa vježbanje ♡

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your lovely comment :)
    I'm following you now :)

    http://beautyrollercoaster.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ou, pa ovo izgleda odlično :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Njam..njam...obožavam ovakve kolače. Inače sam na ljetovanjima u Egiptu, Turskoj, Kipru jedva čekala večere i kolače poput ovoga - nisam im nikada mogla odoliti!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog!!!